January 2012

The Closet

Anonymous, NY, USA

When I lived in my old house, I had a closet in my room. In the closet was something I didn’t know about or think about to this very day.

You see my old house that I lived in was 113 years old. It had some very dark history I didn’t know about until about the time I was moving out, you see, I am 19 now.

When I was about 7, my mom and my older sister were watching a movie upstairs. I was downstairs, playing with my little toy truck. My house had a slight slope in it, going down towards my room. So, as expected, my truck rolled into my room. I went to get it, and before I could, it rolled out by itself. I didn’t know if my eyes were playing tricks on me, so I rolled it again. And back out it came, right up the slant of the floor. So I got my mom and told her about it. She said she wanted to see it for herself and I did it again. This time it stayed in the bedroom, like whatever was pushing it didn’t want my mom to see.

This was only the start of the weird things that happened in my room. Second, my room was unique. It had a closet that led into the basement, convenient for some, but not for me of course. There was actually a dresser on top of the door down to the basement. That night I was sleeping and you will never guess what I saw. I had the strange sensation of a tingling feeling. I woke up, around 3:00 AM. There the scariest, creepiest thing I have ever seen was in the doorway of the closet. A man, about 6 feet tall, was a man in a caretaker hat. A sombrero type thing. He had no eyes, and he was looking straight at me. I then closed my eyes tight and hid under the covers. When I came back out, he was gone, my closet light left on, and all the drawers open in the dresser.

The final story, perhaps the weirdest of all. I used to live next to a really old house used before the civil war to hide slaves. We knew the people who lived there very well. So one day I was playing in their side yard, and looked up at the attic window, a round type window. There the weirdest thing I ever saw. A man, the guy who was in the closet when I was sleeping was looking down at me. The same guy with the hat and no eyes. I went and got the people who owned the house, and the guy was gone. I asked if their attic was in use. They said the last time someone used the attic was before they bought the house in 1989. I asked them if they knew if there was anyone up there, and they looked at me like I was insane. They said the attic was blocked off by a big wooden bar, and that there was no way to get it down. I told them I saw someone up there, and they said what did he look like. I told them, and they got a picture from their dresser. They said they knew the guy, that he died in MY house, and that he died in 1898, the year the house was built. I asked them if they knew anything about the families that lived in that house back then. They said there were 2 murders and the bodies were never found.

The Haunting of Kanaka Pete the Axe Murderer

Anonymous, Canada

Just recently I was browsing the internet and came across the story of Kanaka Pete at www.kanakapete.com This brought back a personal experience I had with Kanaka Pete. I would like to share it with you.

In the fall of 2007 I was attending University in Nanaimo BC, Canada. A few weeks before Halloween my boyfriend and I took the guided, haunted tour of Nanaimo. During the tour we heard the story of Kanaka Pete.

Kanaka Pete was a big Hawaiian that lived in Nanaimo with his native wife and their infant daughter. In 1867, after a night of drinking, Kanaka Pete returned home to find his wife’s parents in his home and his wife told him she was leaving him. Pete left and got totally intoxicated. He returned around midnight to find his father-in-law in the act of adultery (incest) with Pete’s wife, while the mother-in-law watched and the baby lay beside them. In a drunken fit of rage Pete grabbed an axe and did not stop swinging until his wife, her parents and his daughter were all chopped into pieces.

He fled to Newcastle Island where he was hunted down and captured. After a rushed trial he was hung. He vowed he would return and have vengeance. This scared the locals to the point that neither the Europeans or Natives wanted him buried on their land. He was taken to Newcastle Island, a former smallpox colony that was uninhabited and they buried him in a makeshift, unmarked grave.

Our tour guide told us that his evil spirit still lurks the far side of Newcastle Island looking for revenge and to never be on the far side of Newcastle Island after dark.

This was the most interesting of all the ghost stories we heard that night. My boyfriend and I thought it would be real exciting to go camping on Newcastle Island the following Saturday, especially because it was close to Halloween with the thrill of maybe finding out more about Kanaka Pete.

When we got to the Island we saw signs saying no camping beyond this point. We spoke with one old timer there and were told that for our safety it was dangerous to camp past the signs. He told us spirits that have unfinished business still roam near their graves and that Kanaka Pete is confined to a certain area of the Island.

We set up our camp on the safe side. While we were camping we saw some people in kayaks heading towards the far side of the Island. We never saw them return.

Before dark we took a little hike part way on the far side of the Island. We came across the body of a dead rabbit with it’s head chopped off. It looked as though it had just happened. That was really freaky as we did not see anyone around there. We headed straight back to camp.

When we took the little ferry over to Newcastle it was a calm sunny day. During the night it got cloudy and the winds came up making it even spookier. The winds became very high and the night air became chilling cold.

During the night we started to hear some of the scariest noises. Shortly after we went into our tent for the night we thought we heard a scream coming from the far side of the Island. This really spooked us. Not too long after that we heard more terrifying screaming followed by the sound of chopping. This happened many times throughout the night. It was the most terrifying thing we had ever heard. We wanted to leave the Island but the little ferry would not be back until morning. We were chilled to the bone with fright. Shortly after midnight we heard what sounded like a fierce demonic roar and more screaming followed by violent chopping then the most eerie laughter. Needless to say we spent the entire night huddled together scared to death.

Before that night I did not believe in ghosts and thought ghost stories were fun and amusing but after my experience that has now changed.

That was the most frightening and horrific night of my life. I believe there is something very evil on the far side of that Island, we could feel it and we did hear it! I will never forget that cold October night on Newcastle Island and I believe to this day the ghost of the evil axe murder Kanaka Pete was near by. If we would have ignored the warning signs and camped on the far side of the Island that night I feel we would never have returned.

The Baby Walker

Bernadeth Sanchez, Philippines

Last December 17, 2011 at exactly 12 midnight, while most people(including us) were deeply asleep, our city was hit by a flash flood due to typhoon Washi. It all caught us by surprise and many perished. Many were not able to get out of their houses, since that night there was a total black out in the city.

I have an officemate whose house was also badly damaged by the flood. Near their lot where their house stood lived about five families. One of these families lost a four year old child.

Since my friend’s family returned to their house they experienced many unusual events, one of these is her nephew’s walker. The walker is equiped with a sound device which will not produce any sound unless the button is pressed. At night a sound from the walker can be loudly heard and their dogs would bark at it.

They once called a priest (they’re devoted catholics) to have their house blessed, the priest commented that somebody just tugged on his sleeves even though no one was near him and that it wass so humid that day.

The mother of the child visited them and told them that the boy appeared on her dream telling her that his body is buried in my friends lot. Till now they still haven’t seen the body and the walker still makes sound at night.

My Family's Experience

Sam, Merseyside, UK

I mentioned in an older story about my mum seeing strange things in our old home, and these are some of her experiences.

When I was 5, 10 years ago, we moved from our house on a main road to a house at the top of a little cul du sac/street. They were old houses, going back to around the Second World War.

Firstly one of my experiences in the house, I was sitting in my mum and dad’s room, this is when we first moved in and hadn’t re-decorated, the carpet was mankey and pink and the wallpaper was cheap and yellow. I was playing with my action men at the time and suddenly felt something behind me. I turned and saw the bottom of some camo trousers and army boots, I looked up to see who it was and nothing was there. I remember this vividly even now.

Another one is my bed room, I insisted on having my head facing the door, although I didn’t know why at the time. Every night I had my head on my pillow and was lying looking out of the door. I always heard footsteps on the stairs although nothing ever appeared at the top of them. My mum told me it was the blood flowing in my head but I knew she was wrong.

Then, I thought I was the most scared person ever but now I realise I was rather brave. Now for my mum’s experiences, in the same house years later. Me and my younger brother shared the biggest room in the house and my brother only being young, insisted on my mum lying with him in bed until he fell asleep, now we know this was because of some dolls my mum owned and still has (they are from her ex-boyfriend before my dad who had died). In our room, we had bunk beds, and my mum woke up one night and saw a young boy standing near the window looking down at her. At first she though it was me and called my name, then realised I was asleep in my bunk. I don’t know how she fell asleep or if the shape went away but she told me that it was wearing black pants and a white creased t-shirt and the face was contorted, like on the news when they don’t want people to know who it is.

Before we lived there, my friend Jordon who had lived in the street since he was born, told me an old man and woman lived there, the woman fell down the stairs and died and the old man died months later of "heart break".

Our landlord/my mum’s uncle have built us an extension and an en suite bathroom in me and my brother’s bed room. One night my mums woke up and went to leave my brothers bed because he was sleeping but stopped after she saw an old lady sitting on a wheel chair and an old man with his hand on the chair, standing in the doorway of the bathroom. She looked over at my bed (we then had separate beds) and I was sleeping. She told me she stayed awake all night and the old people stood/sat there watching her and nodding.

Now this one is about my cousin, Becky. She is three years older than me and was four at the time. In our old-old house, the one before the haunted one, she lived next door to us with her mum and step-dad. She has the smallest room with a rocking chair in there (it was the 1990’s so they were common). My auntie, her mum, used to walk up the stairs and heard Rebecca talking to someone, so she stopped half way up the stairs and only heard her daughter talking, no-one answering. Becky now says she was talking to an middle aged woman in a light blue nighty which covered he body like a long robe and she had a long grey French plait down her right hand side.

So far there have been no occurrences or scary things happening in my new house but there has been some in friends’ houses, but that’s a different story. I’ll make another one when I have time!