August 2012

Johnny The Ghost

Andrew Dexter, Wales, UK

During the 1960’s my family moved into a large property called ’Gladstone villa’ which was in the former mining town of Bargoed in the South Wales valleys. There were my grandparents and their only daughter who is of course my mother. My mother married in the April of 1968 and she and my Dad stayed with my grandparents at Gladstone villa.

My mother told me that it was soon after I was born in 1969 that strange phenomema started in the attic One day they heard a noise like someone jumping onto the landing, when they went to look, possibly thinking that someone had broken in they descovered the hatch to the attic was moved! It started off quietly but eventually occupied itself in the main bedroom which was my grandparents.

As I got older I too began to experience the activity for myself. We would regularly hear noises in the bedroom like footsteps walking around in the bedrooms mostly in the evenings when we’d all be watching TV downstairs, one of us would turn the TV down to hear it more clearly and my grandfather would try to work out where the walking was coming from exactly. I still remember him saying as we heard it,"He’s by here" or "He’s by there now."

We would go up to the bedroom to investigate (my grandfather would always be in front and me last) but we could find absolutly nothing that could be acounted for it. We heard things that simply defied rational explanation and it got so bad that my mother and grand mother and I would sleep downstairs with the lights on, only my grandfather would sleep upstairs. My father had alreadly left the property by 1972 after he had his own personal experience, my parents eventually divorced after a long seperation.

A family friend who would visit us on most evenings wouldn’t believe my grandmother when she was told that the place was actually haunted, she said it was the vibrationfrom the traffic outside that was causing it, but her belief system was soon challenged when she actually experienced it for herself. One evening she was there and she saw the lights go off and on by themselves, she could see it wasn’t us doing it. She knew of a local medium and he came to the property one day.

He asked a few questions first and eventually he began. He challenged the spirit to perform by knocking on the ceiling, sure enough the entity knocked back! The medium went into a trance but failed to get a name but he later confirmed that there was indeed a presence. A priest also came to bless the property of Gladstone villa and said prayers and it was quiet for a few short months, but it returned with a vengeance and this time it decided to show itself.

One evening my mother, grandfather and I were watching TV and my grandmother was reading a book on the mother just happened to look at my grandmother and she saw the apparition of a monk standing behind the sofa, she later told us that it was only there for a couple of seconds and it was gone. She described as a monk with typical monks habit and hood over the face.

The town of Bargoed has quite a history and there is a club directly oppposit the property called the R.A.F.A it’s one of theoldest buildings in Bargoed and dates back to the 17th century and was once a monostery and rumoured to have priest holes leading to a well known haunted manor in a nearby village. My grandmother gave the ghost a nick name, she called him ’Johnny’.

We moved from the property in the summer of 1978 after two local busines men were interested in buying it.It was eventually converted into a hotel in the 1980’s and is now called ’REDZ PARC HOTEL’ I had my 40th birthday there for old times sake, and the staff told me of the ghost before I mentioned it. There have beem sightings in room 5 and the staff are afraid to go down the celler on their own. What I have said here is true, for those who don’t believe I challenge them to stay the night there!

My Follower

Anonymous, Manila, Philippines

I always loved paranormal stuff. I wish that someday I might experience one. But not in my early age. This experience changed everything.

When I was in grade 3, our dismissal was earlier than the higher grades because our school buses were only a few. I was waiting for my mom to fetch me (my house was near to school) and I sat on the canteen over viewing the gate of our school. Then I saw bunch of my friends roaming around when I called them. One of them, Leanne asked if I could join their "ghost-hunting" I agreed. Our school was once a hospital so its haunted. We first went to the corridors of the 1st grade. The doors of the classrooms had windows so you can peek inside. When we passed there, I kept my eyes inside the rooms, when we got to the last door, I saw a kid, about 5 or 4 standing at the very end of the room. I can’t see her face because her hair was covering her face. Then she stretched out her arm and pointed at me. I was frozen stiff. my friends shouted at me and I noticed that I was far behind. When I looked back the girl vanished. I quickly told them then we ran back to the canteen. I was fetched after that.

When I got home, I ate my after-school snacks in our 2nd- floor living room. The 3rd floor only has the maids quarters and attic but there were no doors or walls so you can see clearly who was going down. While I was reading a comic book, I saw a shadowy figure on the 3rd floor. thinking that it was our maid, I waited for her to go to the 2nd floor and asked her if she know where my slippers were. When I asked, there was no answer. The figure just went down to the first floor. When I looked at the stairs it was gone. I knew someone was going down because I looked at the stairs immediately(our stairs have 14 steps and I looked when the figure was on the 4th step). I was shocked. Thinking of what happened in school I thought maybe the ghost girl followed me.

After that I never saw a shadowy figure again. But I can sense someone is looking at me and I can sense someone came in my room until now...

Maybe it’s the girl... is she still following me?

The Ten PM Whistler

Jennifer Buckland, NSW, Australia

I grew up in a suburb called Ashcroft, which is about five minutes drive from Liverpool. My story is about something that used to happen to my best friend and myself nearly every time we walked along a particular street near our homes.It took place in the late eighties when we were both around sixteen years old.

We often went out in the evenings, either to Thursday night shopping, netball training or school discos. When we first entered the street,we could walk about 10 meters and then it would begin. At first we heard a soft whistle that sounded as though it was coming from the spot we just walked past,we both stopped, the street was deserted and my friend M asked me, "Did you just hear that?"

I nodded, we both shrugged and kept walking.Then we heard it again but a bit louder and sounded closer to us. This time when we stopped we heard three or four footsteps as well. By now we were both starting to freak out, we could hear the whistle periodically, like it wanted us to think it stopped. Just when we would think it was over, we would hear it closer. We both continued walking as fast as we could, we were too scared to stop now, we didn’t want to hear the footsteps getting closer too. They got louder and faster with the whistle,and it wasn’t a tune, it wasn’t a wolf whistle, but an enquiring whistle that’s used to get attention. This would occur any time and almost every time we walked down that street at night. Always about 10:00 pm just after most houses had gone to bed.My friend M also noticed the activity stopped once we got passed the same particular street light.

This happened for years, and to this day if I ask her remember the whistler? We both shiver and say we can never forget.I still don’t know if it was because we were both teenagers and they attract spirits because of their energy, or if it was because the spot where the activity would start was outside a house where everyone said they did black magic and killed animals in ceremonies. We had to deal with it because my friend lived at the other end of the street, and my street ran off it. Whatever it was it never hurt us,but it scared the life out of us whenever we had to walk home late at night, and I haven’t walked down that street late at night for years but it wouldn’t surprise me if the whistler is still there. If anything it was very persistant.

The Ghost That Saved My Life...Twice!

Anonymous, Manchester, UK

Before this event occurred I was a very skeptical and logical person, I would attempt to explain any mysterious or paranormal occurrence logically. However, that scepticism dissipated after this experience.

Before I start let me first explain the layout of my bedroom, as this may help you better visualise what is going on. The backboard of my bed is positioned against a wall that is adjacent to my bedroom door, on the wall opposite my door is a mirror that can be seen from my bed, therefore I can see my door from my bed via the mirror.

On 13th April 2011 at approximately 11pm I was lying in my bed, I was 18 years old and about to finish a segment of a piece of coursework I was currently doing when I heard the distinctive sound of my mother walking downstairs (distinctive as she is heavy footed). Disregarding it as irrelevant, I filed away my work and was about to get up to turn my light off when I heard someone walking back upstairs. It was not my mother however as these footsteps were much lighter, being a fairly paranoid person I stopped and listened and realised whomever these footsteps belonged too was walking towards my door. Although they suddenly stopped, still fairly shaken I cautiously attempted to get up when I saw a young woman in my mirror looking directly at me with a stern look, she had shoulder length dark-brown/black hair, fairly pale complexion and judging by how far her head was from the door frame she was approximately one inch shorter than me. I quickly blinked but she was still there, I then clamped my hands on my eyes and stopped for a minute or two trying to recollect myself but then I suddenly froze and was overcome with fear because I realised I had seen that girl before.

Many people may not be as frightened in such a situation, although to fully understand why I was so afraid you will have to know where I know this girl from. When I was approximately 5-7 years old (I do not remember the exact year) I lived approximately 30 miles from my current house, one night (again, I do not remember the date) I awoke to the sound of movement in what seemed to be the kitchen. Not fully understanding the concept or the danger of an intruder at the time I went downstairs to investigate, once I was in the kitchen nothing seemed to have changed with the exception that someone left a milk bottle filled with what I perceived to be milk on the dining table. As I headed towards the table I heard a childish giggle behind me, as I turned around I saw a girl about my age smiling at me, she resembled a younger version of the young woman mentioned before. All she did was smile and point to the milk bottle on the dining table, stricken with both fear and curiosity I cautiously picked up the bottle and drank from it.

Suddenly I started to vomit and the girl was no longer there, I began to cry out in agony which woke my family. My mother rang for an ambulance and I was rushed into hospital, the doctors found too interesting things that evening. One was that the white liquid was a mixture of white paint and another substance (not sure on the name, however I do remember it began with T), the second thing is that this dangerous liquid had cleared most of my stomach and revealed what seemed to be the early signs of stomach cancer. Luckily the cancer was found at a very early stage and was very treatable, I soon forgot about my encounter with the girl in my kitchen but always remembered that milk bottle.

Anyway back in 2011, after the night I saw the young woman in my mirror I became increasingly paranoid and jumpy. However on the Tuesday that followed that night I was about to set off for university when the young woman was at my bedroom door, staring directly at me again with a seemingly angry look. Paralysed by fear I froze for several minutes and was on the verge of crying, eventually her looked changed from an angry stare to a calm smile and she suddenly walked away. I still stood in the middle of my room, frozen with fear for another several minutes, when I eventually came to set off but missed my bus to university. When I caught the next bus I started to receive several texts and phone calls asking if I was okay, the bus I was originally going to catch crashed on the motorway and 5 of the 15 people on the bus had died and I know in my mind that if I had been on that bus I would also have been one of the unfortunate casualties of the crash.

It was at that point that I realised that the young woman, who I’ve taken to calling Sophie, had saved my life twice without uttering a single word.