June 2010

The Happening

Anonymous, Queensland, Australia

   This is a very true  story, something that I’ll never forget...

   The year is 1988  where Mike, Blair and I rented an old house in Sundowner, Johannesburg, South Africa.

   We had met through the office where Mike was still getting over the death of his previous wife and was trying to be a mother and father to Blair his only child of two. We had got to know each other when Mike proposed and Blair was very happy having a mum again. This took much of the load off Mike when it came to kids and we were really been one big family.

   We were in the process of looking for a house to rent when this “special” was advertised in our local paper. Cheap, isolated plots of land and a view to die for. The house was old, it had lots of space,  plenty of cupboards, and close to all amenities, Mike worked in Randburg as representative for Bekker Mining and Blair went to school at Bordeaux Primary. The school was about 20 minutes drive from the old house and I used to drop Blair off in the morning before going to work at the power station in Kendal.

   It was in the winter when we first moved into the place and although it was isolated, remote and partly out of town we thought we had it all with a pool, large trees and a fantastic view. We were happy for a time and decided to get a tenant for the small granny flat which was attached to the main house. At the time the flat was empty and with Mike working away having another person on the property would be security for me and Blair in the evenings that lay ahead.

   Mavis moved in a month later after us into the little flat and although the place had a chill to it we thought nothing at the time because of the harsh winter we had been having.

   Mavis was a warm loving person who worked for the British Embassy and who decorated her flat out in bright colours, having said that, she needed something different for the wall for the entrance to  flat. I had just come  back from Bangkok and Greece a few years earlier and had brought a few Grecian wall plates and a paper and wooden umbrella but never put them up as I had always kept them as mementoes  of the places I has visited on my travels.

   I suggested to Mavis that the blue plates and umbrella would look good at the entrance and she agreed. The day after we put the plates securely on the wall and the umbrella in place strange things started happening.

   One of the things that I remember was, one morning when she knocked urgently at the door to our place and asked me to look at the plates and the umbrella. As I walked in I felt very cold and there on the wall the plates were sliding and moving on the wall and the umbrella was rocking side to side at that moment the plates fell and smashed to the floor while the umbrella was still rocking. Mavis and I couldn’t believe what we were seeing, yet it was happening right in front of our eyes. As it started minutes later it stopped dead still. There were no windows were opened, no door opened yet there was this feel about the place.

Something I couldn’t explain, yet it seemed I needed an answer, that when I started noticing other things...

Firstly, Blair’s room also had a very cold feel about it and I put it down to the winter again and the fact that the room as south facing, that was my explanation and at the same time I was skeptical and didn’t believe in ghosts or anything paranormal or strange, as far as I was concerned those things are part of one’s  imagination or tall stories, so I thought....

   The one particular day after collecting Blair from school we both noticed lots of insects around the house but for some strange reason not in her pink room, in fact the ants wouldn’t cross the entrance to her door and just backtracked. Then looking at the walls they looked damp, I put it down to moisture in the walls or in the air, so I brushed that aside until I decided to have a closer look. On touching the walls they were indeed wet, like someone had used a fine spray on the walls, it was rather odd, yet I still was not convinced of anything.

   I spoke to Mike about it and he said the house seemed to have an odd feeling about it, something that just didn’t add up, yet we still had a laugh about it and thought nothing. Weeks went by without any “happenings” until one night Mike said he would be working away for a few days and that I must not worry as Mavis was there in the evenings and also I had the dogs to protect me, not that the puppy Abeygale could do much. At the same time I didn’t want to bother the old dear next door, so I was kept busy with Blair and TV in the evenings.

   The one particular late afternoon on the weekend while Mike was away, I remember it was round five I was sitting in the lounge room looking at the TV when I saw a reflection of a person go past the glass doors directly behind me. I got up with a fright and thought someone must be coming in from the back, it was strange because the dogs never barked. As I got up to look outside there was nothing and not a person in sight, yet I definitely saw a shadow. That gave me the creeps, but I still thought nothing and having a glass of wine I was convinced it was my imagination and that I was seeing things. Blair was happy in her room playing with her dolls, yet the hair on the back of my neck was standing on end. From that moment I made sure the dogs were inside as much as possible and around Blair.

   The following evening before going to bed, I switched off the lights and locked all the doors as usual, when something out of the ordinary happened.. The lights in the passage started to flicker, so I just thought they must have faulty globes, so decided to change all three of them. Having  done that they started to go on and off again, then I noticed the front door that I had locked was standing ajar. I let the dogs out one more time to make sure the place was safe and that nobody was walking about.

   They barked once or twice and came back in with their tails wagging, this time, unlike the cat he was nowhere to be seen. Once again I switched off the lights and locked up, again the lights started to flicker and this time I was convinced the house had something about it. As I entered the main bedroom I felt a hand brush over the top of mine, a really creepy feel almost like hairs on top of mine, yet once again there was nothing in the room, but the house did seem to have presence. At that stage I was really scared and took Blair to sleep with me in the same room as there was no way I was going down that long dark passage with the lights flickering on and off again, so there we were the two of us frightened as hell.

   We did hear movements in the house at night but put it down to the dogs and tried to sleep as much as possible, until the next morning when a cry of a child got be out of bed. It wasn’t Blair as she had slept with me and was still sleeping. Looking down the bottom of the passage towards the dining room the cries got louder and when I entered the room it stopped and there was nothing once again. This time I was spooked and really baffled as what it could be. In the meantime Mavis had also heard  and saw strange things happening in her flat and happened to ask me what was so odd about the place. I do remember telling her that I was unsure and that I had seen the strange things that we taking place and from the bottom of my heart I still didn’t really believe that ghosts existed. I mean if I had mentioned this to a friend that most probably thought I was mad.

   Anyhow things started to add up, first the damp walls in Blair’s room, the flickering of the lights, the front door just unlocking, the umbrella, plates on the wall that fell off and the reflection of a person that crossed the glass doors, was this my imagination? Or was it really happening to me? As far as I was concerned it was real and the feel of the “thing” that brushed against my hand as I went to put the light on in the main bedroom.

   As the months past things were getting no better, Mike was still working away, Blair had started school and I was still working out at the power station 3 hours away from home every day. So when it came to the evenings after the long drive home and collecting Blair at 6pm from school we really were not in the mood for fun and games especially on the remote plot of land where we lived.

   One evening I remember, I had just put Blair to bed after reading her a story and decided on a nice hot bath to relax.  While I was lying there, I happened to glance at the mirror next to me when I saw this, what appeared to be some sort of figure from the neck down glide slowly past the bathroom door. It was a woman that part I could make out from the neck down was a white dress, there appeared to be no head or face, she walked past the bathroom door and as I got to see if there was someone there she was gone. It was the creepiest, sighting I had ever, was this the ghost of Blair’s previous mother that I saw? Or who was she? And the cries of a child from the dining room? What had happened here?

   Once again, I concentrated on my day to day things of the next couple of days without mentioning anything to my parents or to Mike or Mavis hoping they would just disappear. Then things were quiet for a while perhaps a few days. Then one morning while waiting for Blair to get ready for school I, went to start the car and when I got there the car door was opened and my mirrors was all turned inwards, that was one thing I couldn’t understand. Yes, I might have not locked the car when I came home the evening before, but the mirrors turned inwards, was that because I had seen the figure in the bathroom mirror a few days earlier? 

   Then my kitten I had disappeared overnight, I thought I had seen a snake under the paving outside Blair’s room and really believed that a snake had eaten my cat, as the kitten never roamed I found it strange that it was gone without a trace.

   All these things was still going on and one day my parents said it would be better if Mike, I and Blair had a holiday and they would look after the dogs for us, which we did. Two weeks later on our arrival back home my parents told us that there were times when the house locked itself and that the keys turned but they couldn’t get in or sometimes when they arrived there all the doors were standing open, how could that be? My parents needed answers and I couldn’t give it to them neither could Mike.

   The last straw came when Mike was working away again and one afternoon while watching TV my the fireplace the pots started spinning, pictures swaying on the walls and it was so frightening that even the dogs ran out of the lounge room. Who or what was there....

   About a month later after little or no sleep we found a new place to rent as we couldn’t take the “happenings” any longer. A couple that moved in after us that we knew were there 3 weeks and said the cries of the child or person got louder. They said a demon  or thing was there, they moved out almost when they arrived. Whatever was there didn’t want humans living there.

   To cut a long story short, I tried to investigate the old house from the landlord and was told that it had been built on a “burial site” and that a person had been murdered on the property. How true is this story I will never know, but it worth finding out. Who was the woman in the passage? The cries of a child? The damp walls? And what really happened to my cat? Why did the umbrella move rapidly on the wall and why did the plates fall off?

   Mavis was never worried and as far as I know she did leave the place shortly after we did.
Today I do believe the place was knocked down to make way for a shopping centre and I wonder if any strange things are happening there.

Ghost in the Mirror

Anonymous, Ulverston, UK

   It was the summer of '68 and everyone in our building decided to go to the beach. We had to take six mini cabs to get there as there were so many of us. We eventually got to the beach and funnily enough it was so crowded you could hardly move. The temperature was definitely over 30 degrees and the sun was pounding down onto my face...

   After about three hours of being at the beach I was rushed into hospital as I had sun stroke. All over my face there was a deep red colour. I was taken into a cubicle of which I stayed overnight in case I got even more ill.

   When I was finally allowed home I went straight to the mirror to look at my face since I hadn't seen it since at the hospital. When I saw my face I screamed as it wasn’t anymore my face! It was a face of a creepy old woman but only when I looked in THAT mirror. I was so freaked out I called my mum over to calm me down. When she arrived she told me there was nothing to worry about as there was nothing on my face...

   When I’m alone in my house and stare into the mirror I see the face of the creepy old woman. But when I am with friends or family it is just my normal face!

   It has been over a decade since this happened but I still see the face in THAT very mirror! Then I realized when I was looking through the family photo album I saw THAT face! It was my Great Grandma...

I'm the Centre of Attention?

Rachael, Lancashire, UK

   In my family it seems that only the females, apart from my brother have had any real other worldly interactions, maybe the men seem to be more skeptical than the women, my generation in the family (me, my sister & female cousins) seem to encounter the most, but today I will be telling you about what I witness.

   I live in a town called Wigan in Lancashire, England. Our house is fairly new, about 10 years old so having spirits connected to the house seems unlikely, however where my house is used to be factories. There is still an old factory behind my house now used as a storage facility. So I can only presume the ‘spirits’ are connected to the factories or the workers who worked there.

   When I first moved into the house I was 6 years old, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The first ever strange thing to happen was about a year later. My mum and step-dad had gone out and me and my sister who at the time was 10, and our baby sitter who was around 17 were the only people in the house. It was around 2am and I randomly woke up, as I was awake I decided to go to the toilet, only as soon as I walked into the bathroom I heard a HUGE bang. It was so loud it was almost like a wardrobe or something of similar size and weight fallen over. It SHOULD have woken anyone up as it was so loud. I was so scared I ran to my baby sitters room and told her all about what I heard only she of course didn’t believe me but decided to stand outside the bathroom door whilst I went to the toilet. I went to sleep that night and nothing else strange happened.

   As the years pass in my house only little things happen, such as when I was around 11 when I would go to sleep at night I could hear my washing basket handles bang against the side of the washing basket as if someone was pulling them upwards then slamming them down, but every time I looked the sound stopped and the washing basket was motionless.

   Sometimes at night hearing as if furniture is moving downstairs but nothing is out of the ordinary when I go down there, that is until one day me my sister and mum came downstairs to see all the furniture in the conservatory had moved into different positions but none of us had moved it.

   To be honest after the bathroom incident there was never any big happenings until I got around 16 for some odd reason. After turning 16 that’s when things started to act up more and more. I would hear people shout my name and I would go to my family members only to find out no one had called my name, then I heard my name being shouted when no one was home, which creeped my out more, they/it knew my name?

   As I got to the age of 17, even more happened. Kettles in my house would randomly switch on; things in the kitchen would fall of the units or table. I even once late at night alone, heard an inhuman growl, so deep it sounded more like an animal but then it turned into a manly scream, almost like a scream of anger or pain, but as soon as I shut the door it stopped.

   What really got me which I found funny was at night time around 3am I was fast asleep only to be woken up by being hit in the face by my TV remote. I woke up confused as my remote was on my desk on the OPPOSITE side of the room.

After that, things have seemed to calm down for now. At most when I’m downstairs mostly alone I will hear something or someone going through my drawers and cupboards in my room only, I know this as my room is the only one with wooden flooring so sound travels easier, than being muffled by carpet so I can only be my room as you can’t hear things like that from anyone else’s room.

What I don’t seem to understand is why the spirit/spirits only seem to be interested in me, nothing ever seems to happen to my other family members.


Siobhan, Derbyshire, UK

   I've always tried to keep an open mind about the existence of spirits and ghosts. At school we told all the classic stories and were sure we saw things that we couldn't explain but looking back they were all rational.
   In 2008 I lost my dad suddenly. He was not even 50 and I hadn't treated him as well as I ought to have. And I never told him that I loved him. So as you will expect when I lost him I felt a great deal of guilt about this but I tried my hardest to put it behind me and after a year of support from my husband I thought I had.
   My husband often works late and I am often in our house alone, when I get lonely I try and sleep. I was trying to do that one night. I was dreaming about my dad, he wanted me to hear something, unusual at that point but not totally unlikely. I woke crying, missing him.

   To comfort me I called my two cats to me but they refused to come which was odd so I sat up and looked over the sofa to see where they were at. As I did I heard my dad so clearly in my ear. Its ok, I'm happy and everything is better. I love you but I have to go.

I freaked out but felt something cold brush against the side of my face before everything seemed to change and my kitties came running into the room straight into my lap. Some people may think this isn't a very good story but it’s completely true. I know it was my dad.

She Came Out of Nowhere

Anonymous, MN, USA

   The title really goes well with the story. She did come out of nowhere. No one died in the clubhouse. But she was still there. At first, I didn't really believe anything was there, now, I'm one of the only ones who does.

    It all started when me and my best friend went past the clubhouse and felt sick. We wondered what was wrong, but we ignored it. I mean, what could be wrong? But then things got weird. Me and my friend went inside and looked around. Nothing was unusual. Except a reflection we saw in the glass doors. We saw a little girl. She was about four feet tall with short black hair. She kind of creeped us out. We stood there looking at her when a broken part of a chair started to move back and forth. We screamed and ran out of the clubhouse.

   We were so curious about this ghost. Who was she? We decided that we would find out. We put out a piece of paper and pen, asked how old she was, and walked out. About five minutes later we walked back in and we both were shocked. In the corner of the paper, was the number 7.

   My brother thought it was pretty cool that we had found this evidence. We wanted her to write more. So we set out another piece of paper and asked her another question. Again, we got a response. We were thrilled! What would my mom think? We showed her. She told us that there was nothing there and obviously one of us wrote on the paper. But of course we ignored my mom. We wanted to find out more!

   We asked ourselves a lot of questions. How do we find out her name? We figured if we write out a bunch of girls names, one must be hers. So we came up with a list, went into the clubhouse and read them off.  When we got to "Casey" a plastic figure fell really hard on the ground. Harder than if it just tipped over.

   This activity went on for about two months. Then suddenly it stopped. What ever happened to Casey? We may never know. My brother stopped believing after a while. So now, it's just me and my friend. We believe. 

A Journey Into The Unknown

Bill, NJ, USA

   This experience occurred in the summer of '06 at my old house in Toms River, New Jersey.

   I was 14 years old and it was summer vacation. I was enjoying my summer vacation for the most part until I got grounded for doing something really bad. Little did I know that me getting grounded was going to later result in me running into a chain of unusual events.

   I was grounded for about 5 weeks. And when I'm grounded, I'm not even permitted to leave my room, so I'll do ANYTHING to keep entertained the slightest bit.  The night before I was going to get off grounding, my sister, who at the time was about 11, came into my room to hang out for a bit and I figured I could use the company. We talked for a bit and somehow the topic of Ouija boards came into the conversation. At this point, I had pointed out to my sister that our parents bought one and that they kept it up with the board games in the closet. My sister had then urged me to go and retrieve it. So I did.

   After we got the Ouija board down, we decided to use it. We, being young children mind you, had to read the instructions on the back of the box to understand how to use it. We then used it. And, of course, the cursor started to move. And, of course, we thought that the other person was moving it themselves. We were sadly mistaken.

    Thinking this had to be a hoax, we started to ask personal questions about ourselves to the board that only a few people knew. It answered every question correctly. Now this was getting weird. We eventually wrapped it up and when we were getting ready to stop, I had then remembered hearing from somewhere that the Ouija board is known to open portals to hell, or small parts of it at least. We then stopped and went and offered our mom to join in on the fun.

   All she said was "Heck no, those things open up portals". I then went and told my friend Jesse and all he had to say was a smack to my face. He, being as religious as he is, lectured me on it and told me only demons come out of the Ouija boards, not angels.

   That night, my mother let me out of my room. I then was sitting in the living room with my younger sister and older sister, who were both dozing off on the floor. My mom passed me when I was headed toward the restroom and she asked me something. When she was talking I thought I heard what sounded like the toaster pop up when it finished toasting something. I didn't react, however, because I thought I was just hearing things. But no sooner than a moment later did my mom ask me if I heard the toaster pop up. I then knew it wasn't just me. We went and checked the toaster. There was toast in it and it was still warm. We knew that neither of us had used it. And everyone else had been asleep for at least an hour. This was odd.

   Over the next couple weeks afterwards, weird things were happening not only in my house but in my friend Jesse's house as well. Noises were heard coming from my living room and the backyard.  One night I was in my backyard having a cigarette and I nearly had a heart attack. A chunk of asphalt about the size of a baseball came flying toward me from Jesse's backyard (our backyards were separated by only a 3-foot chain-link fence). It being dark out, I figured Jesse was hiding somewhere in his backyard trying to spook my by throwing things. But what was unusual was that the asphalt had missed my face by only 6 inches, Jesse wouldn't try to do this. I then called his cellphone and asked where he was. He claimed he was in his bedroom. I told him to knock on his bedroom window to prove it (his room was only about 15 feet away), he knocked. Afterward I explained what had happened. He gave me his camera and told me to watch the screen to look for anything unusual in my backyard (there was no film in it, sorry). I took the camera and switched it to night vision and started to scan my backyard.
I swear, what I had seen was a once in a lifetime opportunity. In the distance, about 25 feet away, in the way back of my yard, was a 6 foot shadow that clearly looked like the shadow of a human was pacing back and forth. This went on for about 2 minutes. Then, it disappeared. After that a thick black smoke started to roll in at no higher than 1.5 feet all over my backyard. At this point, I wanted to flee, but something urged me to stay. So, with that being said, I did the only thing one could do in my situation, I prayed. As I continued to pray, a growl was starting to be heard, the more I prayed, the angrier the growl, and then, it stopped. I told my parents and we had the house blessed.

  The blessing went in vain and we soon moved back to my home town, where I live to this day.

She's Home

Anonymous, Essex, UK

   I live in a small area called Colchester, it’s quite busy but my road is almost always deserted, I have had    encounters but I never thought anything of it until this night.

   It was the middle of winter. My mum went to the shops, taking my 1 younger and 2 of my older sisters with her. She said she was going to be a couple of hours because she had to pop in somewhere on the way back. My oldest sister had left shortly after her. I was 13 and left at home alone, we have a 4 bedroom house which is quite old.

   I was sitting on the sofa in our lounge when I decided to shut all the curtains and turn some lights on, this made the house feel really creepy. Occasionally the floorboards creek and I would jump if someone made a noise next door.

   None of my neighbours were in so I thought I'd turn my music up loud. I was jumping around with my biscuits and crisps when I heard something bang on the ceiling. I put the CD player on mute so I could listen if there was any more noises - nothing. I decided to turn the Cd player off and sit quietly on the sofa and watch some TV. As the break came on, my heart missed a beat, there was someone on the stairs. I panicked and turned the TV all the way down. The door that led to the hallway and stairs opened slowly.

I kept quiet but something in me made me ask if there was someone there. Suddenly it sounded as if the person or thing was running up the stairs. I grabbed my phone and dialed my mum’s number to ask what to do. The operator told me that her phone was turned off and weirdly my phone lost battery and turned off when I had only just charged it. I heard a noise behind me and I swept around quickly to see a little girl in a long pink dress. It was quite old fashioned and she had no shoes.

    At first I thought it must be a lost child but then I noticed that she couldn't have got in as the back and front door were locked. She had no shadow and she was standing on the left of the light, there should have been  a shadow somewhere. She opened her mouth as if to say something but no words came out. I let her pass into the kitchen as I couldn't move, I was so scared that it felt as though my feet were glued to the floor. She couldn't have been bad because she wouldn't have just stood there and looked at me. As I moved into the kitchen I looked and nothing, the girl had just gone.

   I told my mum but she just told me that I was seeing things and that I must have been tired. I have seen her since but only when I’m home alone. Maybe it’s just me?

Weird and Helpful

Ashley, NY, USA

   Some people think that ghosts are here to harm or scare us. I thought so too. Until the night of my 14th birthday party...

     Every year i have a pool party and then a sleepover for all the girls after. This year was going to be the best party yet because we had just moved into a new house (after my mom had my brother she felt we needed more space). This house was much bigger than my old house, but much older. The house needed a lot of work but my mom said it was a house worth fixing.

   After the pool party ended at about eleven, all the girls and I set up our sleeping area in the living room. We turned off all the lights and started telling ghost stories (just like you always do at great sleepovers)! My one friend said that she had a really strong feeling that she was needed outside. We all followed her outside and realized that we never put out the fire and it was starting to come out onto the grass. We just figured that she remembered that we forgot to put out the fire.

     At about 1:30 am the guys who were at the party earlier showed up at my house. They were a few of my close friends and my boyfriend. I knew if my parents found them here they would kill me and ground me for the rest of the summer. But I was pretty confident that I wouldn't get caught. We were all in my living room playing truth or dare, when my boyfriend said he saw something in my kitchen.

We all looked and there was a figure of a man there pointing to my stairs. We were all so scared. Then we heard footsteps upstairs. The guys hurried out the back door just in time. My parents had just came down stairs saying they thought they heard funny sounds.

Me and all my friends were so scared about what we all saw in my kitchen so we couldn't sleep at all. At about four my friend had to use the bathroom. She was too scared to go by herself so I went up with her. When we got to the top of the stairs we saw the same guy that we saw in my kitchen. He was looking up at the fan that was on.

   We were too scared to even move. Then he ran past us making us jump in the direction where he was standing. Then all of a sudden the fan fell and with a loud scream from me and my friend we had realized that we had woken up everyone in the house.

    Even though this ghost scared us, he saved us from a lot that night. I don’t think he was there to harm or scare anyone. He was just there looking out for us.