May 2009

It's Best To Leave Them Alone

Jesika, CA, USA

My name is Jesika.

   I have had so many experiences with the paranormal growing up. Whether it be my own experiences, things my mother experienced/we experienced together, or stories friends and other family members have shared with me.

   Aside from what a lot of people say about "ghosts" and such, I hold a strong ground on the subject with my opinion that these supernatural beings exist.

   It is really difficult to deny or ignore something that you have had in your face for as long as you can remember. When you have personal proof that you can’t run away from. Even though sometimes I really want to!

   Where I recently moved from, a town out in the middle of nowhere in California, was built on old pioneer grounds.

   Since it is right by the Cosumnes River, it actually goes right through the community, there are many, many old grave sites dating as far back as 1800s and there are even old stone houses that have been gated up that are older than time itself and falling apart.

   There are also many, many Indian burials there, and during brief chats with the Security guards that patrol the community, they have told me how many times they have been out patrolling the back woods and found dug up graves, where whomever dug them up put the skulls on tree branches =[ I don't know who always does this there or why. It is true, though. People do it a lot out in those woods =/

   It is definitely an eerie place to live sometimes... and unfortunately for me, when I lived there, a fave pass-time of my fellow teens there is to go to the old graveyards and hang out (I never really understood why people do that but oh well, ha ha).

   First of all, I have always tried to avoid those types of places... anytime I go near them, even if I am not afraid, once we get there I get this sick feeling inside, like a hollow ticking, and feelings of feathers brushing against me.
Sometimes I'll hear voices talking amidst everyone else's chatter, voices that don't belong to anyone I am with. And I am always the only one who hears it =/

One time, last summer (2008) a bunch of us were bored at 1 am and decided to cram into a friend's SUV and truck it to one of the most secluded of all the graveyards there. It was really creepy, because buried there are these two baby twins, girls, and I believe someone saying that those graves were from between 1880-1920 sometime. Maybe even older but I am not sure exactly and I don't want to lie (I never got close enough to see the dates myself, and I will explain why). They are buried next to each other, and, here is the creepy part, growing in between the two graves is a tree, that at about 4 or 5 feet up, splits into two clean separate trunks that hang over either grave.

   Out of everything I have ever seen, that has always been one of the creepiest things. You'd have to see it!


So we get there, park, climb through the poor excuse for a gate and are walking through the about 20 feet of field grass towards the grave plots. But as everyone else was running up there, I found myself feeling really dizzy. My vision was seemingly blurring, but I was never able to determine whether these visions were just a bunch of blurring, or me seeing things appearing to me. I kept closing my eyes. I suddenly started hearing these muffled sounds... the only way I can explain it is, you know when you are swimming, and people try to speak underwater to you, the way that sounds? That mixed with that sound when you put your ear to a seashell, that's what it was I was hearing. A sudden waterlogged voice in my ear while everything else sounded normal. I was like okay NOPE and I stopped and asked my friend Ellie to stay behind with me. I don't know exactly who or what it was, but the closer I walked to the graves, the more intense the sound got.
I didn't want to explore it any more, I wasn't in the mood. At all.

   Another time during one of these Graveyard trips with my friends, I had that instant feeling that something was watching me the entire time, and when we left, I had a feeling it was following me. When I got home, I was sitting in my mother’s room on the phone, when I hear 4 knocks coming from my room, which was right next to hers. I got up to go and check, but saw nothing. Found nothing. There was no one there.

   Another one happened here, in my new home. My boyfriend is in the Navy, and in February 2009 I moved to Groton, Connecticut to be with him until we move when he gets his orders. Since I bussed it from Cali to CT, when I got here they rushed to get us a house since Casey was spending a lot on the Hotel Room. So we were given the only place available: a huge two story 3 bedroom home. I have done a little sight-seeing through this woodsy neighborhood, and noticed many old grave sites here, much like the ones from my home town. Old and falling apart. Given my past and my sensitivities, I was thankful that our home was particularly far from any of these sites. Very thankful.

  One thing you must know about this house, is that one of the stairs squeaks loudly when stepped on. But it takes a decent amount of pressure to do so.

   The other night, I fell asleep relatively early, around 7pm, and woke up in the middle of the night (around 2am). I was laying on the couch and when I opened my eyes, the first things I saw were the two living room windows wide open. I immediately had this eerie feeling, even though Casey was also in the living room passed out on the other couch. I laid there for a long time just staring out the windows. It was raining. I finally got up and shut them, because I have always been uneasy about leaving windows open at night; I am very superstitious.

   I sat back down on the couch and rested my head against the side, leaning a little. I tried going back to sleep, but with no avail. I had eventually been sitting there for quite some time, lost in my thoughts, when suddenly I heard this whispering sound. I sat up and looked at Casey, because the sound I had heard was almost like the sound of shuffling blankets. But when I looked, he was still in the same position he had been in since I woke up. Slightly unimpressed with what was going on, I decided to ignore it and continue to try and sleep.

   Again, I heard the sound. Whispering and shuffling that seemed to zip all through the downstairs area. I sat up again and looked around, saw nothing, and decided to really try and sleep this time.

   I lay down and closed my eyes, but not even 20 seconds later, I heard it.
The stair in the staircase released a long, loud drawn out sigh. Short and quick at first, and then another, loud, as if someone very heavy had stepped on it.
That was about the time I began to get a little creeped out because until this time I had found this house to be rather pleasant and paranormal-free. In a moment of panic I sat up and shook Casey till he woke up, and told him I heard something. He only stayed awake for about 10 seconds, but it made me feel better.
I eventually lay back down and finally fell asleep.

   Since then, nothing else has happened. At times I hear things in the kitchen when no one else is here, or at night when Casey has duty and I have to tough out the night alone. But so far nothing too serious. I have learned to just say "Stop it!!" or "Shut UP!" when I feel a presence or hear unexplainable noises.
It seems to keep it at bay

I have had so many other experiences and I am always happy to share them and hear of other peoples experiences.

I’d post them here but this is good enough, so if you want to know more, e-mail me and I will be more than happy to reply and talk about it =]


Dream Haunter

Kassie Barker, Missouri, USA

   Have you ever felt like someone was trying to tell you something? I have; this feeling left me sleepless many nights. Shortly after my great grandmother died I kept have recurring dreams that had a big impact on me. I hardly knew my great grandmother and had only been to her house on a few occasions when I was younger. But every night it was the same thing.

 In my dream I would find myself walking through her empty house being drawn to one particular room. In this room light pours through the windows and makes me feel really comfortable. The room is empty just as the rest of the house until I turn and behind me is my great grandma. She points to the closet so I go open it. In it on the top shelf is a hat and a purse. I turn back to my grandma and she is now wearing the hat and the purse is on her arm. She smiles and walks to the window where she disappears into the blinding light.

 Then I wake feeling like I have to do something. But I have no idea what to do and I cannot get back to sleep and if I do it is the same dream like a movie playing itself over and over each time I close my eyes. It kept happening till the point to where I thought I was going crazy. My logical side got deprived of sleep so I decided I had to go to that house.

 I finally told my grandma Betty about my dreams. My grandma Betty is the most open minded person in the world so if anyone was going to understand it was going to be her. To my great shock I found out that she was having the exact same dream accompanied by the same nagging feeling of having to do something about it. After that we went over to my great grandma's house that had been cleared out to be sold. It was just like stepping into my dream. It was a sunny day and the light was bouncing off the empty walls and eliminating each room. The room drew me in and gave me the same feelings as in my dreams. I was expecting to see my great grandma behind me but instead of her my grandma Betty was there smiling. It scared me in a way so I hurriedly opened the closet door and my heart dropped to my toes. The hat and purse were there.

 "Those were supposed to be taken out of here." said my grandma Betty. We took the hat and purse out of the closet and as we headed for the door I felt a warm breeze on the back of my neck and heard what sounded to be a sigh. I whipped my head around to find nothing but the empty house that now felt lighter. "Now you can go." I said in a whisper and thought to myself, I think I will sleep good tonight.

Navajo Rez

Anon, Arizona, USA

   As a long-time visitor to this site, I enjoy reading all the stories and experiences that everybody has had. I would like to share a few experiences of my own. As half Navajo and Hopi I’ve had my share of “experiences” on and off the Navajo and Hopi “rez”. I hope that I won’t get any ridicule from any other Native Americans for posting these experiences.

   One experience that I would like to share happened when I was 14 years old (I’m now 29). This is an experience that I have only shared with a small number of people and am now writing down for the very first time. My brother who is a hardened soldier is still scared about what happened to us this particular evening. On with the story.

   As a teenager, I would visit my grandma at her home on the Navajo rez for several weeks every summer. I loved to spend time with her, eat her delicious frybread, and hear her tell us stories. Every so often my grandma would hire a worker (the harmless town drunk) to do odd jobs around her house and property. One evening right before the sun went down, I was asked by my grandma to take him home, which was about four miles out of the valley where she lived. I was more than happy to, seeing that I was only 14 years old and was asked to drive a truck! Mind you that on the rez, nobody cares that you’re only 14 years old and driving around. Hell, there’s hardly anybody around to see you anyway! So my 9 year old brother jumped in the truck cab with me while this “worker” and my dog shared the tailgate of the truck and we were off.

   After I dropped the worker off at the shack that he and his brothers called a house, we headed back down the road to grandmas. As I mentioned before, it was evening and the sky was a deep red as the sun began to set behind us. We were leaving a nice dust trail from the dirt road and the radio was playing music from the only radio station that could be picked up from the nearest town of Holbrook, Arizona. There was nothing unusual, nothing weird. It was at this time that my eye caught movement of something in the bushes a little up the road to the right of us. I remember slowing down thinking that it was one of the many free roaming sheep in the area that would dart out in front of the truck. As I passed where I thought I saw it, I sped up thinking nothing else of it. Then out of nowhere I just felt this dark feeling of fear and dread. I had no idea why I was feeling this way but I definitely felt that something was wrong. As I play this memory back in my mind, there are only a few clear memories that I have of that evening. I clearly remember looking in my rearview mirror and seeing the dark silhouette of something  very tall and very skinny that seemed to be covered with some kind of hair or fur running behind the truck after us! I remember my brother crying and my dog barking ferociously at whatever was chasing us. I remember speeding very fast and shaking violently as the truck bounced on the washboard dirt road. I distinctly remember that this thing was only getting closer as my brother cried “it’s coming up on your side!” I remember being as scared as hell and thinking that I didn’t want to die. At the moment that I thought would be our last, I remember speeding around a bend in the road and seeing a car coming towards us in the opposite direction. At that moment I felt instant relief and felt that whatever was following us was gone.

   Shaken up but alive, we made it to grandma’s house wondering what the hell had just happened. As we told my grandma about our experience, she didn’t seem too surprised which surprised us. She continued by repeating stories that we had already heard at one point or another about black magic, witches, and something that the Navajos call Yee Nadlooshii or Skinwalkers.  Without going too deep into explanation, I’ll just say that they are evil men and spirits that use black magic for evil doing. I tell you that as farfetched as it may sound, they are real! I believe that if God and his greatness are real, the devil is equally as real and also has his ways of showing himself.

   This may not sound very scary to some readers and may be because of my lack of writing skills. But what happened that evening really did happen and scared the living crap out of me. I look forward to sharing other experiences.

Time to Put Your Lotion On

Jordan Pham, BC, Canada

    My story happened when I was in grade school, or roughly five years ago. I lived in a two floor house, in Vancouver B.C. The bottom floor had my gaming room, bathroom, coat room, and laundry room. The top floor had my kitchen, living room and two bed rooms and one bathroom only accessible by via my parent’s room.

   One night I had gone to bed feeling itchy and sick partially because of the  poison ivy I had ran through earlier that day. My dad had already applied the calamine lotion and rubbing alcohol, so I was set to sleep.

   During the middle of the night I woke up to the sound of someone entering my room. It appeared to be my mom, but something was weird about her. Like when your friend gets their hair cut by half a centimeter and expects you to notice, but you can't really tell. She told me to get up, because it was time to put more lotion on. At this moment I was confused but obliged due to the fact that I was still half asleep. She led me to the bathroom in her room and proceeded to apply the lotion on my back while I sat in the tub.

   Next thing I know my dad is getting me out of the bath tub, shaking me and  asking me questions about how I got in his bathroom. I dazedly gave him the obvious answer.

   “Through the door.”

   This is when my dad really started freaking out. At this time I did not know that my parents locked their bathroom door at night so our dog wouldn't come in and drink toilet water. My dad then looked for the key and he couldn't find it. He made me describe the whole thing to him. When I told him that it was my mom that guided me into the bathroom, he reminded me that my mother was on a business trip and wouldn't be back till next week. He then asked me to explain what it was that my mom was wearing and he found the key in her jacket. My dad explained to me that that jacket was very "special".

   My dad called my mom and told her to come home right away. She came back two days later. That day I learned that I had an aunt, and that my mom wasn't on a business trip she was going to her funeral. She had died from Lung Cancer. The  scary part was that the unknown aunt was my mom's identical twin. The jacket was my mom's only memory of her.

   It turned out that my aunt had had a dispute with my mom over my dad. My aunt didn't approve of him. When I was born my aunt tried to see me all the time, due to the fact that she couldn't have kids, but my mom the grudge bearer wouldn't let her.

   We moved a month later. To this day it is my parents and my beliefs that it was the spirit of my aunt trying to spend at least some time with me before she went to the light.

Not Sure If It Was A Dream

Anon, South Africa

   Firstly I would like to say I am not sure if this was a dream or not.
At the time it happened it was very real to me but over the months I have started to wonder whether it was otherwise because I haven't experienced anything like this again... at least not yet.

   I was lying in bed, it was around six am, I know this because my boyfriend had just left for work. I was dosing off when I heard someone enter our bedroom. Now I stay in a normal three bedroomed house with a lounge and bathroom and a huge well secured garden. Back to the story... I heard someone walk in and sit beside me on the bed; I remember feeling the mattress sinking to the weight of somebody sitting. This person asked me in the sweetest voice whether I would like breakfast, and thinking it was my friend at that time, (the voice sounded very much like hers), I agreed and said that was very nice of her. Then my mind came back to me and I realized that I was supposed to be alone in the house so I asked who are you. Something I did not mention before, I had the covers over my head because it was very cold that morning- and as I asked who it was I tried to take a look.

   I remember having this sickening feeling in my tummy, like whatever it was that was talking to me was decayed. 'IT' grabbed the covers and tried to strangle me with my blankets. I started swearing because my grandmother always used to tell us that you must be firm with evil spirits and when swearing didn't help I started reciting Psalm23. That’s when it finally let go and walked out of the room. I was so unnerved for a while but finally managed to sit up and lo, the door was slightly ajar. I mention this cause my boyfriend always closes the door because our passage gives me the creeps.

I would just like to know if anyone has ever had a similar experience. Was it a demon or a ghost? Or was I simply dreaming...

Very Peculiar Experience

Anon, FL, USA

   I have always experienced paranormal happenings, as ghosts seem to tag along with me when I leave my haunted home and I make ghosts at other places very active compared to usual. I have seen distinct pictures of my deceased grandmother in the clouds, and been grabbed by a cold hand which I believe was trying to pull me to heaven. But those happenings are for a different time, for today I want to share about a strange poltergeist who must be trying to tell me something, using water (or tears).

   First, in a room without a leaky roof, I go to sleep after using a tissue, and wake up to my tissue box completely soaked. My mom combed my entire room in a search for a water source, since she doesn't like to believe in things without a explanation. While she looks, she claims to hear a distinct sobbing from in my closet. A few weeks later, after I've forgotten about this incident, I paint a backdrop for an acting club I'm in, and leave it on a floor of a locked room to dry. When I enter the room after unlocking the door, water appears to have been dumped on the backdrop, and a member of my group hears someone sobbing (a tape in the room is reviewed, and nothing shows up, but on the audio, a sobbing)!! In school, I walk around with my friend, let's call her Brittany, all day, as our schedule is virtually the same. In study hall, I take a pencil out of my pencil pouch, completely dry, and draw a picture. When I arrive at my next class, the pencil pouch Brittany just watched me carry directly to class is filled with water! She almost cried with fear, because she's never experienced the paranormal, and was this time the one to hear the crying.

   Why have I never heard the crying? Why is water or tears the only symbol, as I haven't been able to find any cases like mine? If you've had a similar experience please post your story as I'd love to hear it!

My Guardian Angel

Nick Johnson, IL, USA

   My experience happened about five years ago when I was ten. I was asleep in my bedroom next to my parents when I saw a shadow of a man wearing a straw hat on my hallway wall. Now I was only ten so you can understand I was very scared. So I looked up at the shadow and said "what do you want"? At that moment the shadow turned around and walked the other way. Once this happened I got up and walked into my living room and in the corner I saw a Hospital bed that looked like my grandpas before he died. So I ran to my room and went to bed.
   When I got up the next morning and told my Mom she told me it was probably my Grandpa watching over me. Now I was very close to my grandpa before he died of cancer four years earlier. I gave some serious thought to this while going to bed the next night. After I fell asleep that night I guess I got thirsty so I got up and walked to the kitchen to get a Pepsi out of the refrigerator. When I bent down to get a soda out of the drawer I heard the door leading to my garage open behind me. I turned around and saw my deceased grandfather standing there looking at me, wearing his old overalls and that same straw hat. I truly believe that he is, and always will be, my own guardian angel.

Knock Knock

Abby Tefft, ID, USA

  I really believe in anything supernatural and I have two or three experienceses with ghosts. The first one was when a friend,Sierra, came over to spend the night and my sisters were having a sleepover with somebody else in the living room and we(Sierra and I) were sleeping in the same bed(I guess I should include that all three of my sisters and my dog share a room) and it was about three-thirty in the morning when one of my sister's dolls (we were sleeping in one of my sisters beds), that was stuffed in tightly, fell on Sierra's head and she imediately woke up and heard three knocks on our bedroom door. She was so freaked out that she woke me up and told me what had happened. I kept asking her if she was positive she heard that. She was very positive. We had been discussing this for about ten minutes when we heard the same knocking that only Sierra heard. I was really scared and so was Sierra.What was so weird about the knocking sounded as if a shy five-year-old had knocked, and my sister's ages were ten, eight, and three.
  I went to check it out even though Sierra was begging me not to go out there and leave her alone. When I opened the door, there was nothing there! All my sisters were sleeping and when we all got up from a very long night, they were very excited to hear the story even though we(Sierra and I) were still a little shaken up.

  My mom has always been intuaative and when Sierra came over, Mom felt energy around Sierra,which means ghosts were around her.

  Another thing that happened was when ever I was on the computer or on a electronic device, the piano too, there would be this noise. It would go,"doo-doo-da-doo-doo-da-doo-doo."

  When I was at my mom's best friend's house, I was waiting in the truck for my mom to get done with her short errand. About ten minutes after my mom had gone in the house, I saw this face,well,figure of an old man in the driver's side window! I could clearly tell that he was a ghost because for one, he was transparent and two, he wasn't breathing. It was really scaary and awkward because he just stood there and stared at me as if he was disappointed in me.

  Of course, I had never seen this guy in my life!

   When I told Mom about it,she called the same best friend and told her what i had seen. After a while of thinking, Mom's best friend came up with the idea that I had seen her dad that had died in about 2000.

Who Was That Man?

Anon, Canterbury

   My experience occurred when I was 16 years of age, I have changed the name of the people involved.

    I was watching “The Amityville Horror” with my friends and we started talking about ghosts. I asked "Eve" if she believed in ghosts and she told us that she did in fact believe and that her house was haunted. I, along with the rest of the group shrugged it off as "Eve" trying to scare us. Two weeks later we had again gathered at "Eve's" house. We started discussing if anyone would use an Ouija board, after several hours discussing it we concluded that we wouldn't use one as none of us had any experience with dealing with them and didn't want to do anything we may have regretted."Thomas" then asked "Eve" what the history of her house was and "Eve" responded that there was a man who would walk the hallway at night and that she felt he was not a nasty spirit, basically leave it alone and it'll leave you alone she said. We continued talking until the early hours of the morning and decided to call it a night.

   I went to sleep in the guest room and at about 3:00am I awoke to use the bathroom, Now, "Eve’s" house is the kind with the long hallway and the bathroom just past the landing to the stairs to go to the second floor, so when you walk past the landing you can see what’s up on the second floor, quite spooky sometimes, I went to the bathroom and was walking past the landing on my way back to my bedroom when I looked up at the top of the stairs to see somebody walk past, I thought it was her dad, so I called out "Sorry to wake you Dave" and waited for an answer but didn't get one, in my sleepy state I thought little of it and went back to my room. In the morning while we were having breakfast I asked "Dave" if that was him I had woken during the night and seen on the stairs, He replied with a simple no and told me I had been dreaming, "Dave" is a strong skeptic and refuses to acknowledge anything supernatural, basically if he can't see it, it doesn't exist.

   I told "Eve" what I had seen and she calmly told me that the spirit wouldn't bother me because it could sense that I was not a threat, I'm not sure if she was telling the truth there, can somebody verify that for me?? Can spirits sense if you are a threat or not? Anyway, back to the story. Days went by without any second thought to the ghost and that was it. What happened next really surprised me. I went back to "Eve’s" house one night and her Aunty "Sandra" told me she had seen the man as well. That night I was heading outside for a cigarette and proceeded to walk out of the front door as I did not want to disrespect their home by smoking in their house, After I finished my cigarette I headed back inside and walked up the stairs to the game room, I didn't know what came over me but I felt a sense of fear that the spirit was angry with me for smoking in what it probably felt was its house.

   I got to the game room and as I walked in I felt the sense of fear again and wouldn't go into the room. I called out to "Eve" and told her I felt uncomfortable in her house and that I was going home, she replied that I was been silly and told me to stay, so after some convincing I decided to spend the night......NEVER AGAIN!!!. That night I was lying in bed, my bedroom door was open and I could see out into the hallway, which I didn't like, I had the feeling I was been watched, It sent shivers down my spine, I looked to the end of my bed to see this man standing there, he was wearing what looked like a khaki sweater, other times I had seen this man I was not bothered but I was genuinely terrified and closed my eyes thinking if I couldn't see it, it would go away, boy was I wrong, I opened my eyes several seconds later to see the figure still standing there, I said calmly "go away" followed by "please go away you're scaring me",
then closed my eyes, when I opened them, the man was gone

   The next morning I told "Eve" I was no longer coming to her place, I had been scared bad that night and had slept with the light on, I cannot verify this, but I think the man was a smoker who passed due to his smoking and was not happy that I was following the same path, I have never gone back to her house and "Eve" still tells me that the man is still in the house. Neither of us have been able to find out any information about the man, we still wonder who this man is, what his background was and if he was a harmful spirit, because even though we felt him to be a calm spirit, my last night in that house really changed my mind.

Stamford Hotel Ghost

Anon, Victoria, Australia

   You may think that I am a bit of a nutter but the story I am about to tell you is a real life experience that happened to me in 1996 during my first week of working as a crowd controller/security guard at the Stamford Hotel in Rowville Victoria, Australia. This was my first experience at seeing a ghost or spirit but since then I have had several experiences with ghosts and spirits in several locations. I have always been very skeptical when it comes to things like ghosts and to this day I still believe that there is some other explanation for the things I have seen.

   It was my first week working for a security company as a crowd controller/security guard and had a big German shepherd dog (Duke) as my companion for car park patrol. I was working at the Stamford Hotel. At that stage the hotel had had a lot of trouble in the car park at night with patrons fighting and cars being vandalized and stolen. My job was to keep the peace and stop vandalism and theft of vehicles.

   The second night I was there I was taken around the back of the pub by Mark, (a long time manager/employee of the pub) He said "This is the staff carpark. No one is to come out here apart from staff. Make sure you make your presence felt out here."

   I said "No problems, I will vary the way I walk around the exterior and make sure I keep patrons away from this area"

   It was around 11.50pm when I saw a man in a brown silk bodyshirt and brown pinstriped flared trousers walking through the staff carpark. The man looked like he had come straight out of the 70's and I thought that he must have been a homeless person by the way he was dressed. I said to him "Excuse me sir you are not supposed to be out here." He kept on walking speeding up slightly walking toward the corner of the building. I followed him and once again said "Excuse me sir you are not supposed to be out here." He kept walking and headed thru a doorway at the end of the building. It was right next to the wall which separated the main building from the drive in bottle shop. It was very dark beyond the doorway. I said in a loud voice "Sir, come out of there now. I have a big dog with me and a gun and if you don’t come out I will send the dog in after you".

There was no response from the man but I thought that I had better get him out of there so I turned on my Maglite and went inside. It was at that point that my dog Duke started to cower and shake. He did not want to go inside. I had never seen him scared like this before, he was an extremely nasty dog. Inside the doorway there was a small corridor with a wooden floor. To the left was the concrete wall of the drive in bottle shop and to the right was 2 rooms. It was filthy in there, lots of dust and cobwebs everywhere.

   It was obvious that no one had been in there for a very long time. I stood at the doorway of the first room and looked inside. There was an old broken chair and an old bed covered in dust in the room. I then moved along the corridor to the next room. The dog was refusing to move and I flashed the torch on him. I noticed he was almost crawling and I could see the hair was falling off him in clumps as I watched. He was scared, really scared... I was scared as well. I started to think what this guy was up to and if he would jump out at me with a big knife or something.

   I stood at the doorway of the second room and flashed the Maglite around the room. There was an old wardrobe in there and a chair. The man was nowhere to be seen. I thought 'Oh oh, he is hiding in the wardrobe.' I yelled out "I know you are in the wardrobe. Come out now and you won’t be hurt. I have a gun and a big dog here. If you don’t come out I will set the dog on you."

   There was no answer so I wondered what to do next. My dog was fighting to get out, scratching on the floor and whimpering. I thought I will have to get the man out of the wardrobe. I yelled again for him to come out but still no answer. I put my Maglite up against the door and pulled the door open jumping back quickly. To my surprise there was no one inside. I looked around but the man was gone. I wondered how he could have possibly got out and got past me. I ran out into the carpark and did a quick scan of the grounds but the man was nowhere to be seen.
I went around to the front door and saw one of the duty managers. I asked him to get Mark for me but he said that Mark had gone home and left him in charge. I told him what had happened but he wasn’t interested. I asked him to tell Mark the next day when they were at work and he said that he would make it a priority.

   The next night I went to sign on and Mark was in the sign on room. I asked him if the duty manager had informed him of what had happened the night before. He told me that he hadn’t told him anything. I told Mark about the man in the staff carpark and how he went under the building but I couldn’t find him anywhere.
Mark immediately showed interest and said "Where did you see this bloke go? I want you to take me there now and show me exactly where he went."

   I took him, the licencee and the head of security to where I had followed the man under the building the night before. I was amazed to see that there was a locked timber gate on the opening. Mark said "Is this where you followed the man. Did you go inside?" I said "Yes this is it. It was opened last night." Mark said "Tell me what did you see inside there?" I described the concrete wall to the left, the passageway, the two rooms to the right with the bed and chair in the first room and the chair and wardrobe in the second room.

   Mark said "That’s incredible. I believe that you were in there because I have been in there before and you described it as I remember it, but take a look at the gate" I looked at the gate and saw the big rusty lock. I said "Yeah, it has a lock on it but it was opened last night." He said "Take a closer look at the gate." I looked closer and noticed that the gate was also screwed and nailed shut. I said "O.K. maybe maintenance nailed it shut today." Mark said "Look again down there." and pointed at the ground. I looked down and noticed that the bottom of the gate had been asphalted to the ground. It struck me that the gate had not been opened for years, but how did I get inside. To this day I have no idea.

The other 2 guys laughed at me and said I was nuts, but Mark told them not to laugh at me, he was positive that I had been in there but could not explain how.
We all went our separate ways and I started my patrols. At the end of the night, after everyone had gone home Mark grabbed me and took me into the beer and wine cellar. He showed me a picture on the wall and asked if I recognized anyone. I looked at it and noticed that one of the men in the picture looked like the man I had seen the previous night. I said "That's the guy." He said "I dont believe it. You have seen the ghost of Johnnie Moore (at least I think that was the name he used). He was the old caretaker here. He died in that very room of smoke inhalation."

   I couldn’t believe it. I was totally freaked out. I was very skeptical about ghosts and still am. I was too scared to go back to work there but I pushed myself to go. I found out that the caretaker’s old girlfriend still worked at the pub but refused to go into the cellar or talk about him or the ghost. I never saw that ghost again but sometimes when I took things into the cellar and put them down, when I returned to pick them up they would have moved and one night 2 plates flew across the cellar and barely missed me.

   I spoke to a local priest who I later found out was the Exorcist for the archdiocese of Springvale and he said he had heard of many similar stories but none concerning the Stamford Hotel. He had no explanations for what I had done or seen but said I had been chosen for some reason that I may find out later. To this day I still do not know the reason I was chosen.